Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Spotlight On: Amazing Etsy Seller - BUTTONHEAD!

This is the first in a series of interviews I am conducting among my favorite Etsy sellers. To kick things off I am honored to introduce my readers to BUTTONHEAD I am a big fan of her pin-back buttons and magnets!

SHOP PROFILE:

Price range: ($1.75 - $150.00)

Sells: pinback buttons, magnets, pocket mirrors, cards, and temporary tattoos.

Open since: September 2, 2007

Custom items: Oh yes!

Featured Product: Custom Classic 2.5” Temporary Tattoos  


_~_~_~_~_~BUTTONHEAD~_~_~_~_~_

Hi Buttonhead! Thanks for sharing your etsy experience with us!

So, first of all, how long have you been selling on Etsy, and what products did you start out with?

Hi Joan! I have been a loyal Etsian since late 2007. I started out selling a few one-inch pinback buttons on the side. Today, I operate Buttonhead full-time. I’ve expanded the business to offer three sizes of pinback buttons, as well as magnets, mirrors, cards, and temporary tattoos. I have a retail line of items, and I also work on custom orders for other artists, small businesses, organizations, and events.

What made you to decide to sell what you sell? (for example, did it make sense from a business perspective, or you just love it, or both etc.)

I like buttons! They are little wearable pieces of art. Plus, they are the perfect outlet for my weird and random sense of life and style.

Buttonhead, you've had a great deal of success selling on Etsy, what's your number one hint or bit of advice you'd give a newbie?
Focus on repeat business, just as much as new business. I’d say 30% of my current sales are customers who enjoyed working with me and are excited to do Buttonhead again. It’s important to make sure that you are offering an amazing handmade item, as well as a personalized shopping experience. If a customer feels a special connection from the time they purchase an item to the time they use it, not only will they come back, but they will recommend you to their friends. You can’t buy that type of advertising.

What do you like most about selling on Etsy?
It allows me to connect to a worldwide network of artisans and aficionados. I’ve met so many cool and talented folks through my association with the crafting world. I truly love my Etsy friends!

What do you like least about selling on Etsy?
I really don’t have a single complaint about Etsy. I’ve always had a positive experience with the website, the administrators, and the community. I really think you get out of it what you put into it.

Do you market your Etsy shop elsewhere online? If so, where, and why?
Most of the marketing I do is independent. I promote the shop through my various art projects: videos, music, podcast, blog, photography, Twitter. Feel free to check it all out at buttonhead.org. Outside-of-the-box advertising all the way!

How do you come up with ideas for your buttons?
First, I smoke some weed. Then, I talk aloud to myself. Then, I write down the key ideas and make them into buttons. Rinse and repeat!

What is your favorite item (in your shop)?
I have a soft spot for the Animal Identity Crisis Pinback Button Set. They are one of my first and best-selling button sets. Also, they represent my sense of humor. I enjoy the unexpected.

What is your take on "relisting"?
I’m all for it! I relist 5-6 times per day. It keeps my shop looking fresh and keeps the browsers coming.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
I'd like to thank BUTTONHEAD for taking the time to participate in my shop & seller profile series!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the awesome interview!
    http://alipuckett.typepad.com/ali_puckett/2010/05/new-buttonhead-interview.html

    ReplyDelete